WRAL News Tops Ratings in Raleigh-Durham Market, #1 in All Newscasts, All Day
With the final numbers in for the May 2019 Nielsen ratings period, WRAL (Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville DMA) sealed its position as the Triangle’s top news station with the most viewers all day, every day.
WRAL News was the most watched local news overall with outright wins in the advertiser-coveted P25-54 demo audience and in overall households (HH) in every newscast time period. This is the result of a jump in WRAL ratings year-over-year in 8 of 11 newscast time periods. WRAL ratings continue to grow year-to-year, particularly with WRAL Morning News at 6AM, a competitive time period where other stations saw viewer erosion and ratings decline.
- WRAL News at 4:30am – #1 in P25-54 and HH
- WRAL News at 5 and 5:30am – #1 in P25-54 and HH
- WRAL News at 6am – #1 in P25-54 and HH
- WRAL News at Noon – #1 in P25-54 and HH
- WRAL News at 4p – #1 in P25-54 and HH
- WRAL News at 5p – #1 in P25-54 and HH
- WRAL News at 5:30p – #1 in P25-54 and HH
- WRAL News at 6p – #1 in P25-54 and HH
- WRAL News at 10p on FOX 50 – #1 in P25-54 and HH
- WRAL News at 11p – #1 in P25-54 and HH
Ratings saw a boost in May through outstanding journalism and point of difference weather coverage from the WRAL Weather Team. When severe weather moved through the viewing area on May 13, including multiple tornado warnings and watches, viewers turned to the WRAL Weather Team of Elizabeth Gardner, Mike Maze, and Kat Campbell to stay safe and stay informed.
Compelling investigative and consumer reporting, the hallmark of WRAL’s award-winning, viewer-focused coverage, propelled ratings even further with a series of special reports from the WRAL Investigates and 5 On Your Side teams.
“There is a good reason more viewers turn to WRAL News more often than any other local station: they trust our team,” said Joel Davis, WRAL-TV/FOX 50 Vice President and General Manager. “I am very proud to work with and for a news organization that remains committed to great journalism, thorough investigative reporting, consumer advocacy, new and original storytelling, weather expertise and accurate breaking news every single day. They are a team who works hard to earn the trust of our viewers and I am glad to see their hard work have impact in May.”
Featured stories from WRAL News, May 2019:
- WRAL Investigates: Woman wakes up during surgery
- WRAL’s 5 On Your Side: After Florence, is the NC coast ready?
- WRAL Investigates: Vets in NC join fight against opioids
- WRAL’s 5 On Your Side: Could posting a negative online review get you sued?
Thanks to WRAL-TV for this capcom story & for these capcom photos.