2. When did WRAL-TV become the first commercial television station in the nation to broadcast an HDTV signal?
3. In 1998, WRAL’s digital experimentation moved from transmitters to production. On October 12, 1998, WRAL produced the first live news event in HD; lift-off of a NASA Space Shuttle. What made this NASA Shuttle mission so special?
a) John Glenn’s historic return to space.
b) NASA astronauts did a “live” shot on WRAL news during the 6:00 PM newscast.
c) NASA astronauts wore a WRAL logo on their spacesuit.
d) NASA astronauts did a promo for WRAL to watch WRAL news and read WRAL.com.
4. What was the subject of the nation’s first all-HD documentary, produced by WRAL in 1999?
a) The Cape Light
b) Upon This Rock
c) Clearing the Air
d) HAZEL 50th Anniversary of Hurricane Hazel
5. On Friday, October 13, 2000—WRAL-TV broadcasted its first live, all-HD newscast at 5pm from___.
a) The newsroom, of course!
b) The WRAL gardens, of course!
c) The Capitol Building in downtown Raleigh
d) NC State Fairgrounds
- c) 1996 (June)
2. c) 1996 WRAL broadcasted an HDTV signal a little over one month after obtaining the first experimental license.
3. a) John Glenn’s return to space. http://history.capitolbroadcasting.com/media-assets/first-live-nationwide-hd-broadcast/
4. a) The Cape Light http://history.capitolbroadcasting.com/media-assets/the-cape-light/
5. d) NC State Fairgrounds http://history.capitolbroadcasting.com/media-assets/wral-first-hd-newscast-at-state-fair/
Thanks to Corp’s Pam Allen for this capcom story. Pam Parris Allen is a former WRAL newscast producer/director who now works as a researcher and producer on the CBC History Project.