FOX 50 and WRAL-TV Help Chris Rosati Honor Teens for Positive Impact
The BIGG Premiere, which showcased seven Big Ideas from Triangle-area students, was a big hit. The event was a part of Chris Rosati’s BIGG Project (Big Ideas for Greater Good), a signature program of the Inspire Media Network designed to motivate students to impact the world around them. It took place last Sunday, August 3, 2014, at Durham’s Carolina Theatre. The event was hosted by Gerald Owens, News Anchor WRAL-TV.
Hundreds came out to walk the red carpet and watch BIGG ideas come to life on the big screen. Steve Hartman and his CBS crew also came out in support of Chris. The night started off with a heartfelt welcome from Chris and his wife, Anna. Chris was diagnosed with ALS, familiarly known as Lou Gehrig ’s disease, three years ago. Rather than let the disease get the best of him, he decided to use it as a vehicle to positively impact others. This led to his founding of the Inspire Media Network, a non-profit organization dedicated to providing hope and inspiration by producing, funding and sharing stories of perseverance and goodwill.
- BIGG Coloring Book – Olivia Chaney created a coloring book the length of a football field to take to area events.
- BIGG Music Challenge – (Filmed at American Tobacco Campus) Chris Rosati and Alida Zimmerman shared the art of giving through music.
- Comfort Food – August Giles and Nick Hessen made a special dinner for Housing for New Hope residents.
- Polka-Dot Reno – Carolina Farmer, Sara Abell, Leala Frank, Katherine Hays, and Nina Nair helped renovate a local community center.
- Project Smile – Edward Rogers distributed donuts and cupcakes in exchange for smiles.
- Superheroes in the Hospital (Produced by FOX 50 Creative Services) – Milagro, Khalil, Marquel, Hector, Jan, Mattiyah, Itzel, Jackie, William, Elexus, Julia, and Deasia dressed up as super heroes and visited Duke Children’s Hospital and Ronald McDonald House.
- Wheels of Happiness – Luna Murphy used a prize wheel to bring goodwill.
The BIGG Premiere will be featured Friday, August 8 as a part of Steve Hartman’s “On the Road” during the CBS evening news, shown on WRAL-TV in the Triangle and WILM on the N.C. coast. This segment is scheduled to air at the end of the 630-7pm broadcast. Plans are in the works to broadcast the produced elements on FOX 50 and possibility other stations or platforms.
– Watch Steve Hartman’s original “On the Road” piece about Chris Rosati:
CBS News: A father’s gift to his daughters
Thanks to FOX 50’s Sylvia Lanier for this capcom story and to Lanier & WRAL-TV’s Jim Rothschild for these capcom photos.